Home Sweet Home

It has been a long time coming but we are finally settled in our apartment in Rohrmoser and are working on familiarizing ourselves with the area. We live just off of Final de Bulevard about two blocks from the American Embassy and two blocks from the President. It is a very quiet neighborhood with very friendly neighbors.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Old Age is Running Me Down....And Quickly!

So I was out biking today...doing my best to stay ahead of old age....when I discovered just how quick Old Age really is. You would think with the word "old" in its name that it would be slow...but that is not the case! And the really scary thing is that Old Age is actually capable of chasing down more than one of us at a time so......BE CAREFUL!!

It started off as any other bike ride, we went down to the garage...unchained our bikes.....unlocked the gate....and headed out to Pali. We decided to try the short route to EPA and Hiper Mas, even if that meant going down that REALLY STEEP hill. Oh yeah, and crossing that bridge.

Bob and Jake both road down the steep hill, but I was not that brave....I am thinking this is where Old Age caught up with me. Once at the bottom we crossed using that old, rusted bridge that I showed you in the pictures. I decided to go across first but that didn't help. Shouldn't Old Age be afraid of heights, or water, or falling to its death? Anyway, by the time we got to EPA, Old Age had caught up with us and had a hold of Bob by the toe.

Now I am actually expecting Old Age to be following Bob around....following but not catching mind you...yet for some reason it wasn't happy with just him today......oh no....Old Age had it in for me too!

Its first move was when we stopped at EPA...(our Lowes)...to return a pack of energy efficient light bulbs we didn't need. Bob puts the chain on his bike, then hooks Jake's bike to his bike, using Jake's chain. I am on the other side of the pole chaining my bike up, when I hear Bob say that he has lost his keys. This is bad because the key to the bike lock is on his key chain. We have a spare, but it is at home in the closet with the spares to Jake's and my locks.

I asked Bob didn't he use it to unlock the bike at home....to which he answers yes....but he says that he must have dropped it either at home or on the bike ride. I am now having visions of very wet keys!! Jake says that he will bike home and get the spare set then come back and unlock his dad's bike. We decide to wait until after we are done with our return and after we go look for a chair for Jake's room at the store right next to EPA before Jake goes back. As we start to leave I notice that Bob doesn't have his basket on the front of his bike so I ask him where he had put his chain once he took it off at the house. He says he locked it on the chain holder on his handle bar....Lightbulb!....If he locked it up before we left.....and it was off now....then...he must have unlocked it at EPA.

I swear I hear a faint chuckle coming from behind the stack of fertilizer bags as Bob discovers that he actually dropped the keys by the tire while he was locking his helmut up with his bike. We all have a good laugh about this and then head into EPA.

After we return the light bulbs, we go back outside, unchain our bikes and head out for the short ride to Hiper Mas. Just as we are about to leave the gated lot where EPA and two other stores are located, I take notice of the lovely breeze. My hair is blowing in the wind, I am no longer sweating, and my hair is not all smooshed against my head........Ummmmmm.....where is my helmet? Strike two...Old Age! We bike back to where we the locked our bikes and....it wasn't there. The only place left is inside where we did our return. I go in and ask about my helmut...no one has seen it...and then the guard comes in and talks to me in English before telling them in perfect Spanish what I am looking for. Again....no one has any idea where it is. At this point I am thinking it is gone forever, when I am sure I hear another chuckle. As I go to leave the store, the lady behind the counter, who I personally think has been possessed by Old Age,...against her will of course...says "Wait" and then pulls it out from underneath the counter. Damn that Old Age!

Of course when I get back outside with my helmut, my husband is just standing there shaking his head. As I put my helmet on and start to leave, my husband looks at me, laughing, and says, "Welcome to senility!"

No comments:

Post a Comment