Home Sweet Home

It has been a long time coming but we are finally settled in our apartment in Rohrmoser and are working on familiarizing ourselves with the area. We live just off of Final de Bulevard about two blocks from the American Embassy and two blocks from the President. It is a very quiet neighborhood with very friendly neighbors.

Monday, November 29, 2010

No Entiendo, Senora!

I had to laugh today when Jake and I went for a walk to the local pulperia to buy some milk. As we were walking down the street, the neighbors black lab was in her front yard. Now we always enjoy our walk when that dog is out because her owner sits on the front steps and throws a tennis ball up the road for the black lab to chase. Now this may seem like nothing overly exciting but what is going on in other houses on that street is what makes it so interesting. As she throws the ball up the street....and as her dog chases after it happily.....there are several other dogs on that street who are confined to their yards, locked up behind gates, keeping a vigilant eye on the happenings in their neighborhood.

So the ball is thrown up the street....the black lab chases it and.....all the other dogs stick their heads out through their gates and whine and bark as the black lab 'plays ball' in the street. It is soooooo funny to see these dogs with their heads shoved as far through the bars of their gates as possible watching every move the black lab makes! Of course the black lab always makes sure that once she has the ball she goes up on the sidewalks so she can pass by the other dogs locked behind their gates showing off her trophy...the newly caught ball...as she does!

Now Jake and I continue on our way and get some milk and then head back home; traveling back up the same street where the dog is still playing ball. Now I am feeling sorry for this one german shephard who is getting old and does not like to be tormented by the young ball chasing lab, so as we pass his gate...his head still stuck through the bars...I decide to say something sweet to the dog. As we get up to his house I say, "Hey puppy...how are you? You want to come out and play ball?" At which point the dog looks at me, tilts his head to the side and I swear...frowns at me. The look on the dogs face was priceless and I can actually hear the gears in the dogs brain turning as he depserately wants to say to me..."No entiendo, Senora!"

Then it hits me...that's right...the dog speaks Spanish! I couldn't help but laugh as I walked down the street and back to our apartment. I put the milk away when we get home and grab my Spanish book. Next time I pass that dog I will say..... "Hola perrito ... ¿cómo estás? ¿Quieres salir a jugar a la pelota? "

And then maybe....just maybe....I will get a wag of the tail instead of the tilt of the head!

No comments:

Post a Comment