Home Sweet Home

It has been a long time coming but we are finally settled in our apartment in Rohrmoser and are working on familiarizing ourselves with the area. We live just off of Final de Bulevard about two blocks from the American Embassy and two blocks from the President. It is a very quiet neighborhood with very friendly neighbors.

Friday, July 9, 2010

Our Not So Easy Move

After a very dramatic exit from the hotel....think.....driver didn't show up to take us but sent someone in his place (after we called him when he was over a half hour late)who arrived in a taxi....not a taxi van but a 4 seater taxi to take us to our new apartment....did I mention we brought 15 pieces of luggage with us? I did? Well I told the driver that too but apparently he though he could fit all 15 pieces into his little 4 seater.....NOT!

We finally more or less twisted the arm of the hotel to let us use the supposedly "FREE" shuttle (which conveniently was never working the whole time we were there)to get all of our bags to our new apartment and it cost us $20.00 to do so! By twisted I mean my husband started to load the van with our stuff while the taxi driver with the 4 seater just stood there looking confused. Seriously people....we were checking out a day early...which means they had our money for the next day but we weren't going to be there so they could actually rent it out and make double the money.... (I should point out that while all of this was happening, my husband was on his 2nd day without tobacco, yes they can thank me at any time that I actually kept him from killing them).

Anyhoo....we get to our apartment in our very quiet neighborhood and settle in to unpack. The first night we were here I actually got all of the bags empty. Of course there were no hangers so I more or less stuck the clothes on the top shelves of the closets to wait for the stores to open the next day so I could get hangers.

SIDEBAR: Do any of you actually know how many hangers it takes to hang up all our your clothes when you have no hangers at all? Well do you? I'll sit here and wait while you do the math or go run and count all of the clothes in your closet.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Back so soon? Well it took us......and rememeber this is for all three of us....after we took SEVERAL boxes of clothes to the Salvation Army, and by several I mean about 12........160 hangers!

Then there were all of the books and DVD's to unload....all of our "bathroom essentials" and whatever else we managed to squeeze into those (not to be over 50 lbs each) 15 pieces of luggage we brought with us. Actually there were only 13 pieces because 2 pieces were boxes that held our bikes.

It is nice that the apartment not only came furnished with living room, dining room, and bedroom furniture, but they also had rugs, dishes, silverware, pots, pans, towels, washer, dryer, microwave, blender, and coffepot. All we had to do was go get some groceries. Of course I wish I had looked at the bags first and realized we needed hangers but such is life!

And that is just day one....wait until I blog about the 4 days since then. I can tell you that things got better from that first day and I can't wait to blog about it. For now though....this blog will have to tide you over. I am still adjusting to the time change so I am very tired.

More tomorrow....keep a look out!

No comments:

Post a Comment