Home Sweet Home

It has been a long time coming but we are finally settled in our apartment in Rohrmoser and are working on familiarizing ourselves with the area. We live just off of Final de Bulevard about two blocks from the American Embassy and two blocks from the President. It is a very quiet neighborhood with very friendly neighbors.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Saturday Street Market

We got up early today so we could get things done and then bike up to the Street Market to check out the goods. We think that we will just walk next week because it is only a couple blocks away (maybe a 5-8 minute walk) and it will be much easier to maneuver around the crowded street. (See pictures on Facebook)

There is a street along side the grocery store (Pali) that has the post office on it along with the bank and several other stores. But on Saturday, they close the street off until around 2pm and all of the local vendors set up tables and sell their wares.

You can find everything from corn, to strawberries, to potatoes, to bananas, to plantains, to mamon chino (absolutely yunmmy!), to fruit slushies, to yuko, to singers. to muscians....to anything else you can think of.

I spent a lot of time asking what stuff was....Que es eso?.....and learning about different kinds of fruits and vegetables. Then I came home and looked them up in my book about Costa Rica.

We are trying to decide what we might like and what we want to try so when we go next week...we will have our list!

I think I have found that root type thing we had on our anniversary that was kinda like a potato but dryer...I think it is the yuko but I am still doing research on that!

It was so cool to be bouncing around the crowd, looking at all the bizzare looking fruit and vegetables, listening to the Spanish....and the occasional family from Houston..... and just taking in the environment. I feel truly blessed to be here!

I have to tell you about this one fruit that the Tico's call mamon chino (it is called rambuten other places) which is a to die for fruit that is in a red, hard, spiny, round shell which hides a whitish, pulpish, fruit inside that is absolutely wonderful! I had seen it every where and never asked anyone until today what it was. The vendor cur one open and handed it to me to try....to say the least...I came home with 1/2 a kilo (which is about 25 of them) for about 85 cents! Along with watermelon, cantalope, corn, strawberries, potatoes, and bread.

I can't wait to go back next week and buy some other new items after doing my research. They even sell flowers, beautiful flowers, for anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00for a nice arrangement that at the market in Pennsylvania would cost you, easily, $15.00 and up. I'm talking amazing flowers...some I have never even see before....I'll get pictures of them next week! I have a picture or two of the type of flowers in the album I posted on Facebook of the hotel we stayed in when we first moved here. Their prices are incredibly low!

Check out my pictures on Facebook under my Rohrmoser Street Market album!

No comments:

Post a Comment